Saturday, December 17, 2011

Why would a bank need to "verify" someone's account?

I got text message saying, "Your wells fargo account must be verified for account possession or else it will be suspended. Call this number". The problem is that why do they need to verify it? They have all my information on file. They have my address, SSN, phone, email, etc etc. And why would they notify me in text message? I called the phone number in text message and the agent said, "Please provide me your social security number and online password in order to verify your account". They already have that on file. What's going on? I felt bit uneasy and said that I would prefer to talk in the branch instead of phone and he said, "if you don't cooperate we will suspend your account". I told the agent that the bank is not even active on saturday evening and its closed, so I have to see branch manager. While talking longer, my brother snatched the phone and hung up saying, "you're an idiot"|||it was a scam|||Give your brother a cookie...he did a good favor for you.





Banks will require 'verification' by using 'multi-factor authentication' but this is an on-line series of questions which you set up when you established the account...and only you should know the answers to.


Banks would not send you a phone number to call: always use a known phone number to contact your local branch.


Any e-mail claiming to be 'official' bank business should be suspect; call the branch to clear up any doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment